Pages

Sunday 10 June 2012

Pineapple Cordial

 Afternoon Everyone!

Pineapple CordialDon't you hate wasted fruit!  I had a pineapple that was getting a bit over ripe so I decided to cut it up and put it in the food dehydrator.  The sweeter the pineapple the better it tastes dried.  I was about to throw away the skins when I remembered that my Mum used to make the best pineapple cordial. 

So here it is.  My mother's recipe for Pineapple Cordial:

Ingredients:
Pineapple Skins from 1 pineapple
Water
Sugar
½ teaspoon Citric Acid

Method:
Place the pineapple skins in a saucepan.  Cover with water.  Bring to the boil and let simmer for
½ - 2 hours.  Make sure that the liquid doesn't boil down; keep topping it up with water.  The liquid should turn a lovely light brown colour.  Strain out the pineapple skins.  Measure the pineapple liquid.  For every cup of liquid you have add a cup of sugar.  Add ½ teaspoon of citric acid.  You may adjust the amount of citric acid to taste.  Stir over low heat until all the sugar has just dissolved.  Pour into a bottle and keep in the fridge.

To make the cordial: Add 1 part cordial to 4 parts water.

This drink is very refreshing on a hot summers day and is remarkably different from store bought cordial.

8 comments:

  1. I have never known you could make something with the pineapple skins. How wonderful!

    I love pineapple but don't get it very often, and I always feel sad about how much must be discarded.

    ~Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again...

    I was just reading your profile...cute. How neat that you are from Queensland. Of all the places there are to travel to in this world...England and Australia are the only two that interest me, Queensland, Australia in particular because I share a name with a place there: Bulcock Beach. Yes, I am a Bulcock.

    Americans really make fun of that name. Too bad.

    ~Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask me Queensland is the best state in Australia to live! But I think that I am a little bias. Yes, Bulcock would a rather unfortunate name if you lived over here. I have heard of a few bullocks though. What country do you live in?

      Delete
    2. USA...my husband's parents are of Irish and English descent.

      :) Hope

      Delete
  3. cool will have to try this in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,

    Any ide how can this be stored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually store it in a glass bottle in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. To be honest I don't know how long it would last in the fridge because we drink the cordial so quickly! This is a basic recipe that can be used with any fruit. Strawberry and passionfrut cordial is my favourite.

      Delete
  5. Made this last night but used over ripen oranges. Tried it this morning - it's amazing. So sweet and lots of orange flavour. Going to try this with lots of different fruits. Thanks for the recipe. Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment; even if it is just to say 'Hi". I would love to hear from you!