Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Lego Sugar Cookies


Afternoon Everyone!
Lego Sugar Cookies
We all love Lego, right? So when I saw this tutorial on Sweet Sugar Belle of how to make Lego cookies, I had to give it a go. I decided to make the lego men as well as the lego bricks. 

First of all I made the sugar cookie recipe from GloriousTreats:

Sugar Cookies
3 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup/238g butter at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence


1.       Stir together the flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.

2.       Using an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  This should take around 3 mins.

3.       Add the egg and vanilla.  Beat for another minute.

4.       Add the flour to the mixture slowly.

5.       Blend until all the flour is incorporated and the dough begins to come away from the sides of the bowl.

6.       Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it.

7.       Put some baking paper on top of the dough and roll it out using a rolling pin to around 8mm high.

8.       Put the sugar cookies on a baking pan lined with baking paper.

9.       Put the baking pan with the cookies in the fridge for 3-5 mins so that they won’t spread when in the oven. 

10.   Bake the cookies for 8-10 mins depending on the size of the cookies.  They should be just starting to take on a golden tone. 

I drew up a template for the lego man head and cut it out of an old ice-cream container lid.  You can see the dimensions that I used in the picture.  I simply placed it on top of the rolled dough and traced around it with a knife.  I found that once I picked it up I needed to flatten the sides with the side of my knife. For the bricks I cut the dough into rectangles of 6.5cm x 3cm.

I let the cookies cool overnight and then made up some Royal Icing the next day:

Royal Icing
1 ½  tablespoons of meringue powder (Pavlova Magic)
2 cups icing sugar
3 tablespoons of warm water


Beat all ingredients until stiff peaks form.  Make sure that all the utensils are grease free or the icing won’t reach its proper consistency.
Recipe from
 Wilton.com

Decorating The Lego Man
1.       Using a piping bag, outline the cookie with black icing.  This will create a dam.

2.       When the black icing is dry, flood the top and bottom rectangle with yellow icing.  Icing used for flooding needs to be thinned or the final result will look lumpy.  Thin the icing with 1 teaspoon of water per cup of icing.  Only add in half a teaspoon at a time until the right consistency is reached.

3.       Flood the center of the cookie with more yellow icing.  I like to pipe the icing on in a spiral pattern so that it flows on evenly.  Use a toothpick to spread out the icing or fix up any bubbles.

4.       After the icing is dry (I left mine overnight) pipe on the eyes and smile.

Decorating the Bricks
1.     Using a piping bag outline the cookie.



2.   When the outline is dry, flood the center with thinned icing.




3.   Pipe on 6 dots when the icing is dry.  Don’t use the thinned icing or the dots will run off the cookie.



I had some left over icing so I grabbed some Malt-O-Milks out and used up all of the left over icing on those.  They look so much better than I expected.  Since they are rectangles, I think that I will use them next time to make the Lego Bricks instead of making the sugar cookies.

So, this was my first time decorating sugar cookies and although it sounds easy it took a lot longer than I expected.  Especially because I only had 1 piping bag, so there was a lot of cleaning and refilling.  I am very happy with the results.  They don’t look as good as the ones in the Sweet Sugar Belle tutorial.  But I am very impressed with how cute they are.  Now, to eat them….

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Lego man template. They look great. Can't believe it was your 1st time !

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment; even if it is just to say 'Hi". I would love to hear from you!