Pages

Thursday 10 May 2012

Kit Kat Cake


Kit Kat CakeAfternoon Everyone

When I brought out hubby’s birthday cake last night our guests actually said “Wooooow!”, which I took as a huge compliment especially since I am not a cake decorator.  So THANKYOU Pinterest!  You make me look so much more skilled than I really am.


So, this is how I made the Kit Kat Cake.  First I made a basic chocolate cake.  I found the recipe in an old book that I fished out of the bin while cleaning out a church storeroom.  That’s another story that I will blog about soon...

Simplicity Chocolate Cake
60g butter or margarine
1 cup self raising flour
½ cup milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla or almond essence


Melt butter.  Put all ingredients in a large bowl and pour the melted butter on top.  Beat with electric beaters for 3 mins or until well combined.  Pour into a prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven (180°C) for 30 – 35 mins.  The cake is ready when a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.

To decorate the cake I modified a recipe of Cream Cheese Icing.  Click here for the original recipe.

Buttercream Icing
¼ cup butter (at room temperature)
½ tub of cream cheese (125g)
¼ cup cocoa
2 cups icing sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons cream


Using electric beaters blend butter and cream cheese in a bowl until well combined.  Add cocoa and blend.  Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.  Add the cream until you get the consistency that you want.

Decorate the Cake
3 – 4 blocks of family size kit kats (broken into individual pieces)
2 bags of M&M’s
Ribbon

After icing the cake, position the kit kats around the outer edge.  Tie the ribbon around the kit kats.  Pour the M&M’s into the center.


That’s it!  So easy and yet it looks so good!  Come to think if it there is still some left in the fridge.  Mmm afternoon tea time I think….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; even if it is just to say 'Hi". I would love to hear from you!