Pages

Wednesday 25 April 2012

The Greener Cleaner Challenge

Afternoon Everyone! 

This is what my kitchen cupboard looks like. I think that it is time to change to some more natural products.So I have decided to try Natural Cleaning and call it The Greener Cleaner Challenge.So, first things first, I started by doing a little bit of research on the net.I have now come to realise that there 3 main benefits to Natural Cleaning:

·Health (breathing in all of the cleaning chemicals is not good)
·Environment (just think of all of the landfill)
·It’s cheaper!

The fact that has really convinced me that it is time to change is:
Over 100 chemicals commonly found in homes have been linked to allergies, cancer, headaches, depression, chronic fatigue and respiratory problems. Our Environment: It’s a Living Thing

I am going to choose 1 commercial product a week and try to find a natural alternative that is just as effective.

My first product that I am going to replace is this Multi-Purpose Cleaner:
Here is the recipe that I tried from this Fact Sheet.I chose this recipe because I wanted something that I could store ready for each use and used essential oil so that my house didn’t smell too much like vinegar.Since I decided to use an old Pine O Clean bottle (now that’s recycling) I had to divide the recipe by 3.
Ingredients:
1 cups of water,
2 tablespoons vinegar,
1 tablespoon bi-carb soda
1 drop essential oil (I used Lemon Eucalyptus Eucalyptus Citriodora).
Method:
Mix ingredients together, apply with a spray bottle.


The Result
After putting the All Purpose Cleaner to the test on my stove top I realised that the mixture was too thick to come out of the spray bottle easily.So I added another ½ cup of water, a tablespoon of vinegar and a drop of essential oil.

I am very impressed with the final result. Not only does my kitchen smell lovely but the spray worked just as well as the Pine O Clean.I even prefer it as it didn’t leave a soapy residue.
Here is the final recipe that I used:

Multi-Purpose Cleaner

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups of water,
3 tablespoons vinegar,
1 tablespoon bi-carb soda
2 drops essential oil

Method:
Mix ingredients together, apply with a spray bottle.

Look! My clean stove with my greener alternative.
No more commercial cleaners for me!
Next week I will try and find a more natural replacement for Glass and Mirror Cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; even if it is just to say 'Hi". I would love to hear from you!